PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Interactive Core Word Book- GO
by Daniele Cerone-Griffin, M.A. CCC-SLP
This Interactive Core Word Book features 12 pages of interactive content, moveable pieces pages, and includes a content use guide. An adapted, interactive book is a piece of children’s literature in which the text is modified via a picture system. Adapted books facilitate language instruction and nurture literacy based activities in order to benefit students. These books support participation and interaction by the reader and the listeners. Core words refer to a small set of words which make up between 70-90% of what we say on a daily basis. Core words are relevant across contexts and have many different meanings. Building a receptive and expressive vocabulary including core word vocabulary is important because it allows communicators to express a variety of concepts, using a small number of words.
The reading of adapted, interactive core word books builds on:
1. Literacy skills (such as, book handling skills).
2. Vocabulary and language concepts, including core words
3. Building vocabulary skills by identifying and/or labeling single words.
4. Early communication skills (i.e. joint attention,interactions, attending to a shared referent).
5. Expanding single words to phrases (i.e. from “like” to “I like that.”).
6. Answering simple “wh” questions (i.e. “who, “what” and “where”).
7. Understanding and using pronouns (i.e. “I”, “He”, “She”, “They”, and “It”).