This interactive grammar notebook will cover material for a semester and includes interactive pieces for types of sentences, phrases, clauses, verbals, and more. The specific items address common core standards for seventh and eighth grades, but will work for multiple grade levels and abilities. Please see the preview for the full table of contents.
UPDATE: 2017 - this bundle is being updated with new fonts, easier to cut pages, and more practice sentences. THANK YOU for customer feedback. Honest teacher feedback makes this a more user-friendly interactive notebook, and I appreciate that.
I created a crisp and clear design because older students often complain if material looks too young. Over 150 practice sentences are included.
Overall, this interactive notebook includes folding pieces and visuals for grammatical and language concepts. Pieces cover the basics and core concepts presented in middle school grammar lessons, as well as providing review for previous concepts.
Topics include: the eight parts of speech, parts of a sentence, verbals, phrases, clauses, misplaced & dangling modifiers, coordinate adjectives, types of sentences, wordiness, active & passive voice, moods in verbs, and punctuation.
Common literary terms (theme, simile) and language terms (syntax) are included on books and notecards. They can be filed on a "bookshelf" and "clipboard." Connotation and denotation pieces include definition and example pieces.
The complete table of contents for this interactive grammar notebook is included in the preview if you would like to view specifics.
These sentences provide practice, and are on easy cut strips for students to cut and glue in notebooks:
* 10 sentences for students to correct the mood shifts.
* 10 sentences for students to rewrite, correcting misplaced modifiers.
* 10 sentences for students to rewrite, correcting dangling modifiers.
* 10 sentences for students to identify as simple or compound. Students must also cut apart the independent clauses in the compound sentences.
* 10 sentences for students to underline the dependent clause.
* 10 sentences for students to identify as complex or compound-complex.
* 28 sentences for students to identify as simple, compound, complex, or compound-complex sentences.
* 10 sentences for students to decide if adjectives are coordinate or not - and directions to add commas.
* 10 sentences for students to identify the verbs as active and passive - and directions to change the passive voice to active.
* 28 sentences for students to identify and label verbals - two versions, one set with the verbal underlined, one without underlined words.
* 10 sentences for students to identify and label verbal phrases.
* 10 sentences for students to find the gerund phrase and label its part in the sentence (subject, direct object, predicate noun, or object of the preposition).
* 15 sentences for students to eliminate wordiness.
(Answer keys included for all).
The thumbnails will also provide you with a better idea of the inclusions of this product.
To the best of my knowledge, the pieces will contribute to the understanding of the common core standards listed.
Need more interactive grammar notebook pieces?
Fifth and Sixth Grades: Interactive Grammar Notebook
8th Grade Grammar Scrambles and Interactive Notebook Pieces
Looking for different, yet fun grammar activities? You may be interested in Grammar Coloring Sheet Bundle.