Use this Interactive Phonics Notebook as a supplement to your literacy routines. Motivate your young readers with a unique color-coded spelling strategy to enhance your phonics instruction. It works!
While reading, have your students hunt for the spelling patterns that they are currently studying. Have them add each word to their collection of “gumballs”. After they have met the desired number of words on each page they earn a gumball for their gumball machine (graphic included).
Method and Theory:
Students enjoy this color-coded strategy to help them identify the various spelling patterns in the words they read and write.
Yellow: long and short vowel sounds
Green: Consonant digraphs
Red: Consonant blends
Orange: Vowel diphthongs
Blue: R-controlled vowels
79 Phonograms Included:
• 5 Short Vowels double-sided pages
• 5 CVCe/"Magic E" Vowels double-sided pages
• 8 Digraphs double-sided pages
• 19 Long vowel teams double-sided pages
• 8 Diphthongs double-sided pages
• 5 R-controlled vowels double-sided pages
• 7 S-Blends double-sided pages
• 5 L-Blends double-sided pages
• 7 R-Blends double-sided pages
• 6 Inflected Endings double-sided pages
• 4 Hard/Soft c and g double-sided pages
• Gumball Machine to Collect "Gumballs"
• Interactive Notebook Cover (2 versions to choose from)
• Classroom Gumballs Poster
Print double sided beginning with the first worksheet page (short a). The margins are set so that when you assemble double sided copies, the margins will compensate for the binding of either a three-prong folder or binder.
Don’t forget to use those popular handy library leveling labels as book marks for each “gumball”. You’re going to have to hand-write them. Which can use up a TON of stickers. But I found them for only $1.70 with 1,000 per pack! A small price to pay for driving the point home to our little readers! Not only does it look awesome, but the kiddos will love seeing the collection of their gumballs (tab dividers) grow as you introduce them.
Please visit my blog TheKFiles.com for additional resources and ideas!
From my home away from home…
The K Files