What better way is there to teach a love and appreciation of beautiful words and language than in poetry? This is the perfect supplement to your poetry unit. These six interactive centers, adapted from Georgia Heard's Awakening the Heart, will teach your students to enjoy descriptive and figurative language and look for it in the world around them.
• Amazing Language Center: Students will create a poster of beautiful lines and words from poems they have read.
• Treasure Hunt for Poetry Center: Students hunt for poetic words and lines in picture books.
• Illustration Center: Students illustrate visualizations and mental images they see in their minds while reading poems.
• Performance Center: Students perform poems by singing, dancing, or acting.
• Poetry Reading Center: Students think about the meaning of poems, author’s purpose, questions, and connections to their own lives.
• Discovery Center: Students observe natural objects and compose their own poems
Please note that poems are not included in this product. If you do not have enough poetry books in your classroom library, just check out a few from your school library or local library.