Interactive Read Aloud BUNDLE: Reading Comprehension Lessons Using Mentor Texts
- Google Apps™
What educators are saying
Products in this Bundle (9)
showing 1-5 of 9 products
Also included in
- This yearlong bundle includes three parts to your daily reading comprehension instruction:PART 1: WHOLE GROUP LESSON (Interactive Read Aloud)TEACH your whole group lesson with powerful Interactive Read Aloud lessons! Each lesson includes a script that goes along with a mentor text. I give you interaPrice $79.97Original Price $114.25Save $34.28
- This yearlong bundle includes three parts to your daily reading comprehension instruction:PART 1: WHOLE GROUP LESSON (Interactive Read Aloud)TEACH your whole group lesson with powerful Interactive Read Aloud lessons! Each lesson includes a script that goes along with a mentor text (a book I suggestPrice $79.97Original Price $114.25Save $34.28
Interactive Read Aloud lessons are perfect for teaching whole class reading comprehension lessons using mentor texts. This bundle includes 101 Interactive Read Aloud lessons that set you up for an entire year of teaching your daily whole group reading lessons with highly effective Interactive Read Alouds. Once you have the mentor text suggested for each lesson (the texts are NOT included as they are books you would find in your classroom/school library), all you need to do is print and you are ready to go!
WHAT IS AN INTERACTIVE READ ALOUD?
The phrase “Interactive Read Aloud” refers to a read aloud that is a teaching lesson. A “read aloud” generally refers to reading a text aloud solely for enjoyment. BOTH have a place in an elementary classroom. I like to have a quiet and relaxing session of reading aloud from a long a chapter book for the last 15 minutes of our day. This is very different from my Interactive Read Aloud, which is when I read a text aloud for a focused, specific lesson.
WHO IS THIS FOR?
This product works perfectly for teachers who are either new or experienced with teaching using an Interactive Read Aloud. I have included a concise primer that everyone can use for making every read aloud as effective as possible.
WHAT DOES EACH LESSON LOOK LIKE?
Each lesson includes a suggested script that goes along with a mentor text. The mentor texts are books commonly found in most school or classroom libraries (there are no texts/passages included in this bundle). I give you interactive stopping points for every read aloud. The stopping points use interactive elements such as turn and talk, sign language, and stop and jot. You even have the option to print the stopping points on sticky notes!
If you are new to using Interactive Read Aloud lessons to teach reading, don't worry! I have included step-by-step directions for making every Interactive Read Aloud a success!
WHAT GRADE LEVEL IS THIS FOR?
This bundle was specifically written for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade classrooms. In the preview, I give a suggested break down of which of the 101 lessons should be taught in each grade level. However, you are not limited! You can pick and choose from any of the lessons so that you get a huge range of differentiated lessons to choose from!
***** ANCHOR CHARTS *****
Every lesson includes a printable anchor chart that you can either print on full-size chart paper or on 8”x11” paper.
***** CONVENIENT LESSON FORMAT *****
Every Interactive Read Aloud lesson can either be printed onto one piece of paper or onto sticky notes that you can place directly on the mentor text.
***** EXIT TICKETS *****
After each lesson, send students to read independently with an exit task bookmark aligned to the day’s lesson. There is a student workbook included that holds completed bookmarks along with a copy of the anchor chart that went with the lesson.
***** PRINT-AND-GO *****
Everything in here is ready to go. All you need to do is print the lessons and gather the mentor texts (these are books commonly found in most school or classroom libraries). Everything is scripted, so your planning time is less than two minutes per lesson! You can even hand these lessons off to subs or reading aides!
WANT TO BUY INDIVIDUAL UNITS INSTEAD?
You can buy each unit individually here:
• Interactive Read Aloud - READING FOUNDATION
• Interactive Read Aloud - CHARACTERS
• Interactive Read Aloud - TEXT FEATURES & STRUCTURE
• Interactive Read Aloud - VOCABULARY & FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE
• Interactive Read Aloud - MAIN IDEA AND KEY DETAILS
• Interactive Read Aloud - THEME
• Interactive Read Aloud - AUTHOR'S PURPOSE
• Interactive Read Aloud - STORY ELEMENTS AND SUMMARIZING
• Interactive Read Aloud – FLUENCY
WANT TO TRY A ★FREE★ SAMPLE INTERACTIVE READ ALOUD LESSON?
• THEME – IDENTIFY THE AUTHOR’S LESSON (FREE INTERACTIVE READ ALOUD LESSON)
THIS PRODUCT IS STREAMLINED TO WORK PERFECTLY WITH THESE ADDITIONAL PRODUCTS:
• Reading Strategy Group BUNDLE - 101 small group comprehension lessons with differentiated passages
• Differentiated Daily Quick Reads - Daily practice (homework, reading warm ups, etc.) of comprehension skills
• - Includes pre- and post- assessments for every comprehension skill
The Reading Strategy Group Bundle offers matching small group lessons (with differentiated passages) to every Interactive Read Aloud lesson in this product. If you have a group of students who struggled to grasp one of the Interactive Read Aloud lessons, then you can pull them together to work on it in a small group using the provided passages and activities from the Strategy Group Bundle.
The Differentiated Daily Quick Reads are quick, 5-minute, reading warm ups that are perfectly aligned to the Interactive Read Aloud lessons in this product. Students independently read short passages and then answer questions focused on the specific strategies that you have taught. Review weeks are sprinkled throughout so that students continually go back and work on previously learned strategies.’
The Reading Strategy Group Bundle and Differentiated Daily Quick Reads are amazing additions to your Interactive Read Aloud lessons, but certainly not required to be used with this Interactive Read Aloud bundle.
WANT A BIGGER BUNDLE?
I have created comprehension curriculum bundles that include EVERYTHING you need for Tier 1 and Tier 2 comprehension instruction in 3rd or 4th grade. The elements included in my curriculum bundles include the Interactive Read Aloud BUNDLE, Reading Strategy Group BUNDLE, Differentiated Daily Quick Reads and Differentiated Assessments.
WHAT LESSONS ARE INCLUDED IN THIS BUNDLE?
• How Do You Know?
• Retell to Refocus
• Tap Into Your Prior Knowledge
• Make a Mental Picture
• Focused Reading Stamina
• Use the Illustrations
• Character Feelings
• Feelings Can Change
• Think and Speak Like the Character
• The Storyteller's Point of View
• Guessing a Character’s Thoughts
• Introduction to Inferring
• Inferring Character Traits
• Inner Traits vs. Outer Traits
• Going Deeper With Inferring
• Describe Characters Using Text Evidence
• Ask and Answer Questions
• Sometimes Characters Repeat Patterns
• Character Motivation
• Compare Characters
• Sketch and Reread
• Text Features
• Helpful Headings
• Using Bold Words and the Glossary
• Start With the Glossary
• Using the Captions
• Photos Add to the Text
• Cover It and Then Study It
• Understanding Diagrams
• Understanding Timelines
• Learn From Everything on the Page
• Putting it All Together
• Firsthand vs. Secondhand Accounts
• Text Structure: Compare and Contrast
• Text Structure: Cause and Effect
• Text Structure: Sequence
• Identify Multiple Text Structures
VOCABULARY AND FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE
• Try Another Word
• Use the Context Clues
• Match the Mood
• Use the Word
• Use a Reference
• Literal vs. Figurative Language
• Vocabulary in a Nonfiction Text
• Repeating Words = Main Topic
• The Big Topic and the Little Details
• Connect the Pages
• The Topic of Each Paragraph
• What's the Connection?
• The Power of Wow
• Reflect on the Facts
• Can You Remember What You Just Read?
• Make a Scan Plan
• Subtopics and Details
• Paraphrase Sections to Find the Main Idea
• Use the Cover to Guess the Main Idea
• Key Details Support the Main Idea
• Key Details vs. Interesting Details
• Ask and Answer Questions
• Compare and Contrast Two Texts
• What Happened and Why?
• Think About the Big Topic
• The Story's Lesson
• Connect the Topic to the Theme
• More Than One Theme
• Plot vs. Theme
• Give the Character Advice
• Learn From Characters
• Learn From the Author’s Ending
• Compare and Contrast Themes
• The Author’s Reasons and Evidence
• The Author’s Perspective
• Author's Perspective vs. My Perspective
• Why Did the Author Write This?
• Facts vs. Opinions
• Connect the Title to the Text
• The Beginning of the Story
• What is the Setting?
• The Moral of the Story
• How Does it End?
• Summarize the Important Parts
• What the Character Wants
• The Problem and Solution
• How Characters React to Problems
• The Lesson Learned
• Somebody, Wanted, But, So, Then
• Compare Two Versions of a Story
• Who is the Storyteller?
• What is the Plot?
• Read Aloud Like a Teacher
• End of Sentence Punctuation
• Mid Sentence Punctuation
• Group Your Words Into Chunks
• Reading Dialogue
• Match the Character’s Feelings
• Match the Mood or Tone
• Follow the Author’s Clues
DIGITAL DISTANCE LEARNING OPTION INCLUDED
In addition to the traditional printable pack, the activities in this download can also be assigned via Google slides or Google Classroom, which makes it very versatile.
WHAT DOES THE DISTANCE LEARNING VERSION LOOK LIKE?
While the teacher is reading the mentor text over video, the students are all logged into the shared Google form (included in the product). Throughout the read aloud, the teacher will pause and give the prompts that are suggested in the product. The students will respond to the prompts on the shared Google form so that the teacher can see the responses in real-time and pivot the instruction as needed. (Note: the teacher CAN pre-record the video as an option).
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do these lessons align with your Strategy Group Bundle?
Yes! I have aligned these lessons seamlessly so that you have the option to follow up your whole group Interactive Read Aloud lessons with small strategy groups when needed.
Do you have a recommend scope and sequence for teaching reading?
Yes. In this download, I have included a year-long scope and sequence that covers every comprehension skill I recommend in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade.
What mentor texts do I need to teach these lessons?
The suggested mentor texts I have chosen are books that are commonly found in classroom, school, or public libraries. I intentionally did not use the newest title found in bookstores (even though I love them!) because I wanted books that would easily located by most teachers. I added "youtube options" for several of the mentor text suggestions so that you could watch a video of the book being read if you don't have a copy of it.