This bundle includes 3 Interactive Read Aloud lessons designed for first grade students. The lessons were created based on the book, Owen, by Kevin Henkes, but can easily be adapted to suit other texts. Teacher think-aloud and guiding students to use metacognitive strategies are major components of these lessons.
Several student learning objectives are targeted. First grade students will be able to:
- Describe the setting(s) shown in the text.
- Sort words from the text into two categories: 1) things that belong at school, and 2) things that belong at home.
- Make inferences about a character’s feelings based on information from the text.
- show understanding of vocabulary acquired from listening to the story.
- orally identify connections between words and their use based on information in the text.
- summarize the story in their own words using what they learned from listening to the story.
**Each lesson follows the gradual release of student responsibilities process and includes a writing extension!**