These interactive read aloud lesson plans use 75 different picture books to teach over 40 different reading comprehension skills. Each lesson has a carefully selected picture book to use as a mentor text.
Included in This Download:
- 75 lesson plans that cover specific reading comprehension skills.
- Scope and Sequence guided for lesson planning and tracking.
- A book list with all the books used linked to Amazon for easy reference.
- A standards checklist to make sure you are covering everything inside your core.
Each Lesson Plan Includes:
- Important vocabulary terms or potentially confusing words from the text.
- Questions and prompts before reading to help activate each student's background knowledge and provide the right level of scaffolding.
- Questions and prompts during reading with specific page numbers and talking points.
- Questions and prompts after reading to help summarize the book and reinforce the skill covered.
- Graphic organizers selected specifically for each book and skill to help students organize their thinking and respond to what they've read.
- Answer keys for each graphic organizer.
Skills Included In This Download:
- asking questions
- author's purpose
- cause and effect
- character comparisons
- character changes
- character actions and development
- character traits
- character's feelings, actions, and choices
- compare and contrast
- comparing two authors
- comparing two books
- comparing two characters
- comparing two problems and solutions
- comparing two settings
- determining importance
- figurative language
- idioms, proverbs, and adages
- main idea and details
- making connections
- metaphors and similes
- mood in illustrations
- multiple meaning words
- nonfiction text features
- point of view
- problem and solution
- shades of meaning
- theme, moral, and lesson
- tone and mood
- using illustrations to add detail and meaning
- word choice
Books Used in These Lesson Plans
- A Bad Case of the Stripes by David Shannon
- A Different Pond by Bao Phi
- A Pig Parade is a Terrible Idea by Michael Ian Black
- A Seed is Sleepy by Dianna Hutts Aston and Sylvia Long
- All the Places to Love by Patricia MacLachlan
- Amazing Grace by Mary Hoffman
- Bats by Gail Gibbons
- Bringning the Rain to Kapiti Plain by Verna Aardema
- Can I Be Your Dog? by Troy Cummings
- Click, Clack, Moow Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin
- Creepy Carrots by Aaron Reynolds
- Creepy Pair of Underwear by Aaron Reynolds
- Dreamers by Yuyi Morales
- Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson
- Emmanuel's Dream by Ann Thompson
- Enemy Pie by Derek Munson
- From Seed to Plant by Gail Gibbons
- Heckedy Peg by Audrey Wood
- Henry's Freedom Box by Ellen Levine
- Hey, Little Ant by Phillip and Hannah Hoose
- I Wanna Iguana by Karen Kaufman Orloff
- If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff
- Khalida and the Most Beautiful Song by Amanda Moeckel
- King Bidgood's in the Bathtub by Audrey Wood
- Martin's Big Words by Dorren Rappaport
- Mary Wears What She Wants by Keith Negley
- Memoirs of a Goldfish by Devin Scillian
- Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
- Moonshot by Brian Floca
- More Than Anything Else by Marie Bradby
- My Lucky Day by Keiko Kasza
- Not Norman: A Goldfish Story by Kelly Bennett
- Ordinary Mary's Extraordinary Deed by Emily Pearson
- Piggie Pie by Margie Palatini
- Pigsty by Mark Teague
- Planets by Elizabeth Carney
- Plant Secrets by Emily Goodman
- Planting Stories by Anika Aldamuy Denise
- Rotten Teeth by Laura Simms
- Salt in His Shoes by Deloris Jordan
- Sea Turtles by Laura March
- Snow by Cynthia Rylant
- Strega Nona by Tomie de Paola
- Suddenly by Colin McNaughton
- Tacky the Penguin by Helen Lester
- Thank You, Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco
- The Bad Seed by Jory John
- The Bear Ate Your Sandwich by Julia Sarcone-Roach
- The Cow Who Climbed a Tree by Gemma Merino
- The Empty Pot by Demi
- The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William Joyce
- The Frog Prince Continued by Jon Scieszka
- The Good Egg by Jory John
- The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson
- The Legend of Rock, Paper, Scissors by Adam Rex
- The Night I Followed the Dog by Nina Laden
- The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson
- The Recess Queen by Alexis O'Neill
- The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant
- The Rough Patch by Brian Lies
- The Salamander Room by Anne Mazer
- The Sandwich Swap by Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah
- The Stray Dog by Marc Simont
- The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig by Eugene Trivizas
- The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka
- The Ugly Dumpling by Stephanie Campisi
- The Worst Princess by Anna Kemp and Sara Ogilvie
- There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow by Lucille Colanaro
- Tuesday by David Wiesner
- Two Bad Ants by Chris Van Allsburg
- Weird Parents by Audrey Wood
- When Lightning Comes in a Jar by Patricia Polacco
- Where the Wild Things Are by Mauric Sendak
- Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears by Verna Aardema
- Winter is the Warmest Season by Lauren Stringer
How to Use Each Lesson Plan
- Decide which skill you want to teach and determine which mentor text you want to use.
- Print out the lesson plan and go through the questions so you become familiar with the content.
- Place sticky notes inside the book to help you remember to stop and discuss as you read.
- Have students fill out their graphic organizers as you read.
Why Use Interactive Read Alouds?
Interactive read alouds are a POWERFUL way to help your students learn and understand important reading comprehension skills. Not only do they help teachers model fluency and comprehension skills using think alouds, they also get kids interacting with and talking about a text.
How long should my interactive read aloud lessons take each day?
Each lesson can take anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on the needs of your students. This is only a suggested time frame. Your class might need more time to complete the activities for each day.
All Create-abilities resources are designed with ease-of-use in mind. Don’t have a color printer? No problem. Pages that do not render well in black-and-white have black-and-white copies included. Be classroom-ready with a quick print.
Check out my preview for a closer look at this product!
Feedback is greatly appreciated!!
★★★★You Might Also Like★★★★
● Figurative Language Interactive Read Alouds
●Accountable Talk Posters, Flip cards, and Bookmarks
● Guided Reading Lesson Plans A-Z