Interactive Science Notebook
Biology Vocabulary Foldable
This vocabulary foldable includes 16 important terms for teaching cells and biology. There are two, ready to print sheets, with terms, definitions and colorful pictures. This four page pdf document creates two flip open foldables for your students to create and study. These vocabulary foldables make a great entry for Interactive Science Notebooks.
The last two pages in this document include step by step instructions to creating the foldables and a teacher key. When you print the terms and definitions, they will be scrambled. Students will have to cut out terms and definitions then match them as they create each foldable. Each foldable contains separate matching words and definitions. You don’t have to complete them both on the same day.
Terms Included in the Vocabulary Foldable:
Foldable 2: Cell Parts
Science Standards Addressed in this Lesson:
LS1.B: Growth and Development of Organisms
• Organisms reproduce, either sexually or asexually, and transfer their genetic information to their offspring. (secondary to MS-LS3-2)
• Animals engage in characteristic behaviors that increase the odds of reproduction. (MS-LS1-4)
• Plants reproduce in a variety of ways, sometimes depending on animal behavior and specialized features for reproduction. (MS-LS1-4)
• Genetic factors as well as local conditions affect the growth of the adult plant. (MS-LS1-5)
LS3.A: Inheritance of Traits
• Genes are located in the chromosomes of cells, with each chromosome pair containing two variants of each of many distinct genes. Each distinct gene chiefly controls the production of specific proteins, which in turn affects the traits of the individual. Changes (mutations) to genes can result in changes to proteins, which can affect the structures and functions of the organism and thereby change traits. (MS-LS3-1)
• Variations of inherited traits between parent and offspring arise from genetic differences that result from the subset of chromosomes (and therefore genes) inherited. (MS-LS3-2)