Interactive Spelling Grade 3: A Year Long Common Core Spelling Unit
* This Spelling resource is loaded with everything you need to teach 3rd grade Common Core Spelling for the entire year!
* The 36 lessons were carefully created to target 3rd grade spelling/word work skills needed. They are well researched and based on The Common Core and The Continuum of Literacy Learning, by Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell.
* Each of the 36 lessons will be the foundation for spelling/word work learning for the week.
Weeks 1-2: Words that end in consonant clusters
Week 3: Words with two vowels together (long sounds)
Weeks 4-5: Unique vowel patterns with 3+ syllable words
Week 6: Double consonants at the end
Week 7: Finding small words within compound words
Week 8: Double consonant 2+ syllable words
Week 9: Short vowel patterns in 3+ syllable words
Week 10: Long vowel patterns in 3+ syllable words
Week 11: Drop the -e when adding a suffix that begins with a vowel
Week 12: Unique vowel patterns
Week 13: Changing words from singular to plural
Week 14: Add, delete, change letter clusters to make new words
Week 15: Understanding prefix meanings
Week 16: Understanding suffix meanings
Week 17: Words with 3 consonant clusters
Week 18: Use reading parts to help solve new words
Week 19: Words with suffix -ed
Week 20: Words with suffix -er and -est
Week 21: Words with common Latin roots
Week 22: Add -r or -st to words that end in silent -e
Week 23: Homophones
Week 24: Homographs
Week 25: Consonant Digraphs
Week 26: Blending two words together
Week 27: Contractions
Week 28: Spelling patterns when changing from singular to plural
Weeks 29-30: Adding suffixes to words
Week 31: Words with -able and -ible
Week 32: Past tense words
Week 33: Dividing words after the first consonant blend
Week 34: Dividing words after a consonant digraph
Week 35: Word with consonant clusters that make one sound
Week 36:Making verbs into nouns by adding -sion
* Additional activities, practice tests, games, and tests are also included.
* This method of teaching spelling goes way beyond the traditional approach of assigning the same list of words to every student, having them memorize the words, taking a test, and then moving on.
* With these lessons and the framework for each week of learning (as described on the next few pages) you will find this spelling instruction much different than the traditional weekly spelling units!!
***Please note that several of these lessons are the same as other grades. There are also several lessons that have been changed to meet the specific needs of 3rd graders. Because I followed a continuum of learning as researched by Irene Fountas and Gay Sue Pinnell, several of the lessons are taught in more than one grade.
Click on the links below to see other grade level interactive spelling units:
Thank you for checking this resource out! Download the free preview to see more!!
Copyright © 2014 Jen Bengel
All rights reserved by author.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.
Not for public display.