Are your kids bored from taking daily notes in class? Why not introduce them to Interactive Student Notebooks (a.k.a. Math Journals)? In addition to the daily schedule, students can add the main topics to their notebooks and reflect upon their learning. The right side of the ISN serves as their library, or input. It represents passive or receptive learning. The left side of the ISN serves as their laboratory, or output. It represents active learning and reflection.
Let me tell you what is so special about ISN's. First of all, they are a great tool for referring back to the topics covered in class for study purposes, especially for quizzes, tests and major exams. Secondly, students are engaged in a hands-on way to "interact" with their notebooks, building math literacy and conceptual understanding at the same time. Finally, all of what they learn is in one spot, which alleviates papers and worksheets from getting lost.
Volume One of this 100-page Geometry Interactive Student Notebook (ISN) includes the following topics:
* Points, Lines and Planes
* Segment Measure and Midpoints
* Coordinate Graphing
* Perimeter and Area
* Acute, Obtuse, Right and Straight Angles
* Angle Addition Postulate and Angle Bisectors
* Vertical, Complementary and Supplementary Angles
* Adjacent Angles and Linear Pairs
* Parallel, Perpendicular, Intersecting and Skew Lines
* Parallel Lines and Transversals (Special Angle Pair Names)
* Slope and Slope-Intercept, Point-Slope and Standard Forms
* SSS, SAS, ASA, AAS and HL
* Acute, Obtuse, Right and Equiangular Triangles
* Scalene, Isosceles and Equilateral Triangles
* Angle Sum, Exterior Angle and Triangle Inequality Theorems
* Listing Angles and Sides in Order
* Altitudes, Medians, Perpendicular and Angle Bisectors
* Isosceles and Right Triangles
* Pythagorean Theorem
* Distance Formula
* Quadrilateral Properties
* Ratios and Proportions
* Geometric Mean
* Similar Polygons (AA ~ , SSS ~ and SAS ~ )
* Proportional Parts and Triangles
* Proportional Parts and Parallel Lines
* Perimeters and Similarity
A Table of Contents, 3-2-1 Reflection Pages, Ten Reflection Ideas and many Foldables (including blank templates) are also included. Students in middle school and high school will LOVE this concept and will value it as they grasp the new Geometry concepts they learn in Math.
Enjoy watching your students get organized, get engaged with their learning and get creative as they build their very own interactive student notebooks!