Looking for something for students to do who finish early? Need individually paced work for HiCap classrooms? This long term independent math project is just what you need!
Math Independent Study Project Recommended Uses:
• Enrichment -- Real World Application Requirement
• Motivation -- Students will be excited to get back to their ideas
• Application of Math Skills -- Emphasis on Fractions, Decimals and Data
• Differentiation—assign less tasks or more bonus! Use the blank rubric to specialize grades!
Includes: Recommended Uses/ Rubric, Teacher Materials, Organization Suggestions, Student Plan/ Rubrics pages, Partner Conference Supports, 13 Task and Blank Task/ Bonus Cards Templates.
Builds Independence and Problem Solving! Simply go over the instruction sheets and rubric then let them go!
Specifically designed around 3rd and 4th grade Common Core standards.
You may be using this Amusement Park project with students spanning all levels of fractions and decimals. Students may start at different times (I have my independent/ highly capable students start as soon as they have enough basic information since they are often done quickly and need deeper tasks to stay engaged with less teacher instruction time.) It could mean that some students are working on 3rd grade fraction expectations and others are pushing into 4th, 5th, or even 6th grade concepts of fractions, decimals, and percent.
First Level of Differentiation:
• Choice of theme/ attractions
Second Level of Differentiation:
• Grid size – 4 Square (basic fractions, basic decimals/ money sense)
• Grid size – 20 Square (advanced fractions, decimals, money sense)
• Grid size – 100 Square (proficient conversion of decimals to fractions, money sense)
Third Level of Differentiation:
• Rubric Requirements – 10 minimum attractions
• Rubric Requirements – Teacher Choice minimum attractions
Also use in conjunction with my Reciprocal Math Teaching www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Math-Discussions-Scaffold-lessons-with-students-as-teachers-2607464 and 8 Mathematical Practices resources!