This product is a compilation of six separate primary source reading packets focusing upon international trade, and the controversies surrounding it today. They include:
1. Adam Smith and the Division of Labor: excerpt from "The Wealth of Nations" (1776)
2. David Ricardo and the Theory of Competitive Advantage: excerpt from "On the Principles of Political Economy and Taxation" (1817)
3. Smoot-Hawley Law and the Protective Tariff: Sen. Reed Smoot, Sen. John William “Elmer” Thomas
4. Keynes v. Bastiat on Taxes and Government Spending: John Maynard Keynes excerpt from "General Theory", Frederic Bastiat from "What Is Seen and What Is Not Seen"
5. NAFTA: Job Killer or Creator?: Pres. George H.W. Bush, Vice Pres. Al Gore, H. Ross Perot, Rep. Richard Gephardt, Rep. David Dreier; Rep. Helen Bentley
6. The World Trade Organization: Wealth Creator, Corporate Cronyism or Sovereignty-Killer?: WTO website, Pres. Donald Trump, Rep. Ron Paul, Rep. Peter DeFazio
Each reading has 4-16 review questions at the end which are a combination of reading comprehension, DBQs and links to current events (where possible). They can be used for in-class reading, as homework or substitute assignments in a U.S. History, World History or Economics class.