PURPOSE – Rehearsal and Practice: Analyze interpreting remainders/visuals aligned to interpreting remainders using the area model to represent division.
1. Organize students into groups of 3 or 4.
2. Each group is given a different letter to begin answering the questions.
3. Teacher posts the posters around the room representing various stimuli for interpreting remainders.
4. Groups have 5-7 minutes at each station to solve what they know about interpreting remainders with 3 digit dividends by 1 digit divisors. Students will then justify their answers using the provided answer stems.
5. At the teacher’s signal, groups rotate and search for the poster with their answer that is at the top of another poster. Repeat step 4.
6. Teacher sees and hears the students’ thinking and clarifies/verifies as appropriate. (If students are unable to find their answer on another poster, they need to go back an re-work the problem. If students are able to find their answer, they are able to check off their work as correct.)
Materials: • Interpreting Remainders Tour of Knowledge posters • Tour of Knowledge - Division with Remainders Recording Sheet