An understanding of color theory is basic in design work.
It is important to know which colors work well with others and how color influences the mood of a design by appealing to emotions, evoking feelings, or stirring memories.
In this unit we review the basics of color. To do this we investigate:
• how color is perceived by the eye
• reflective and emitted light
• making a color wheel in Illustrator
• primary, secondary and tertiary colors
• additive and subtractive color and their relation to RGB and CYMK colors
• color temperature
• tone, shade and tint
• color combination schemes: complementary, analogous, triad, split-complementary, tetratic and square
• color moods.