Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Start your Leadership class or ASB Student Council off right and set your students up for a year of success with this introductory unit filled with enough student-centered, get-them-thinking activities to use for 2-3 years before any repeats- great if students are in student government year after year!
Then, culminate their learning and growth with a campus-wide Kindness Project to kick off a positive year for your school that your students will lead from brainstorm through reflection.
Greatness is maximizing all group members' strengths to cultivate a strong working relationship.
Employers often say as important as the hard skills of coding innovative websites, cutting amazing hair, or designing safer cars are the soft skills of communicating, leading, and collaborating.
Don’t let this year start down that same old path of poster making and pep assemblies.
Leave the superficial WHAT of student government behind for a thoughtful, collaborative, community-building set of introduction activities that will have your students answering, “WHY do we want to lead and HOW can we do some great things together?” within a couple of weeks.
The beauty of this beginning-of-the-year unit is your freedom to mix-and-match, add-and-subtract- each activity is self-contained, allowing for complete customization into a high-energy 2- to 4-week course introduction. Pick the activities that make sense for this year with these kids!
Even better, there are enough activities to last you 2 to 3 years without repeating, in case students are in Leadership or Student Council back-to-back years! Or save a few activities for later in the year when students need a little re-boost or refresher.
Included in this complete unit:
- Unit-at-a-glance sheet and 11 pages of detailed daily lesson plans from the daily goal to debrief questions
5 Types of Activities (23 in all!) - all easily doable in one class period or less
- Introductions build familiarity and trust within the group with 5 icebreakers
- Defining Leadership brainstorm and discuss the meaning of leadership in 4 different ways
- School Knowledge & Climate examine the ins-and-outs of the school’s current state through 4 exercises
- Goal Setting brainstorm and establish agreed upon wishes and mission statements for the year with 5 methods
- Personal Inventories understand strengths and values using 5 different assessments
- Kindness Project an open-ended, student-directed project that builds off the forming trust, emerging understanding of leadership, the goals that have been set, and now known personality characteristics of the group
- 40 slide fully editable Supplemental PowerPoint with student directions and links to online videos
Want more Leadership & Student Council projects?
Building a Leadership course from scratch?
Leadership & Student Council Mega Bundle get it all with this growing bundle!