For classroom or homeschool, introduce this American composer by listening to "Maple Leaf Rag," "The Entertainer," and more. This resource contains 4 songs for listening, a video to watch, (internet required for music and video), a puzzle, and a fun card game for review of everything learned in this unit. This does not contain a full biography (links for that are below) but is a great introduction and overview, or helpful when a quick review is needed. Detailed notes for the educator and answer key are included. Help students gain an appreciation for this important American composer. This PDF is printable in full color but looks great when printed in grayscale, too.
The Scott Joplin resources are:
- Scott Joplin, The King of Ragtime Biography (this unit)
- Scott Joplin, Politics, Ragtime, and Opera
- Scott Joplin, Memorials, Awards, and Legacy
These three resources are also available in a BUNDLE.
Read more about the book, The Strenuous Life of Scott Joplin at my website here.
Great for teachers because:
- Easy prep - great for busy teachers, subs, and homeschool
- Makes reading circles or guided reading lessons easy, fun, and interesting
- Incorporates several educational disciplines in one topic
- Easily adapted to students of different ages and abilities (especially great for homeschool/unschool environments)
- Sneak in some history and have fun doing it
- All the research and organization is done for you
Great for students because:
- Lessons and activities long enough to cover the topic, but short enough to hold interest
- Little or no teacher supervision needed
- Helps kids find fun in the stories of history
When time is short, try this: When using this unit with multiple students, select (or have the student select) the section that interests them most. Then, have them create a poster, talk, short paragraph, artwork, or any other appropriate way to share that information with others in the classroom. The students become the teachers to their classmates.
When you have more time, try this: Tackle each section in-depth, with everyone working on the same unit at the same time. Some activities work well with buddies or groups, others are better for individual work.
More History Quick Resources
- Samuel Morse Biography and Inventions Bundle
- Copyrights, Public Domain, and Fair Use
- Impeachment, Then and Now, Unit Study Bundle
- The Story of the Pipe Organ
- Pony Express Bundle
- How the Daughters of Liberty Used the Spinning Wheel Bundle
Read more about the book The Strenuous Life of Scott Joplin on my website here.
Customer Tips: How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases: • Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Next to each purchase, you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you. ☺