This is a Powerpoint I made to introduce my 9th grade Humanities studies to Oedipus the King. You can print a note sheet version of it for students to follow along with (or not!). It is a fun overview designed to get students excited to read Oedipus, as well as provide them some background knowledge and reference notes on ancient Greece and Greek theater. There is also a video hyperlinked on Slide 8 that explains the characteristics of Greek theater.
**PLEASE NOTE: This Powerpoint was originally made using Google Slides. Because I am not sure how well the presentation will transfer to a Powerpoint file, I have included the link to the Google slides in the notes section of the first slide. If you are having ANY trouble with the Powerpoint or cannot find the link, please reach out to me!!**
Here's an overview of what is on each slide:
- Slide 1 (image provided): Title page, picture of Oedipus, map of Greece with Thebes
-Slide 2: Author, date written, 1 sentence plot summary (don't want to spoil anything!), picture of Sophocles, picture of Oedipus and Jocasta
-Slide 3 (image provided): Discusses setting/geography, 2 maps of Greece
-Slide 4: Brief historical background on what a Greek polis is and how they interacted with each other
-Slide 5: Brief overview of Greek mythology (it's referenced a lot in the play, which can be confusing for students!)
- Slide 6: Brief description of the major characters who are part of Greek mythology
- Slide 7 (image provided): 3 genres of Greek theater and the most famous playwrights
- Slide 8 (image provided): Characteristics of Greek theater; **if you click on picture of Oedipus and Jocasta, it links to a great video by the National Theater about the characteristics of Greek theater**
- Slide 9: List of major characters in the play
- Slide 10: Themes in Oedipus
Please reach out if you have any questions!