Just how harmful are the effects of sleep deprivation? Psychologists and scientists have made some recent discoveries that point to the absolute necessity of quality sleep. And with their expertise and this lesson you may actually convince your sleep-deprived students to start taking sleep seriously! At the very least, your students will come to realize that sleep deprivation can negatively impact their brain power, physical well-being, and psychological state.
Throughout the lesson students will:
1) Take a "Bell Ringer" survey that determines the basic level of their sleep deprivation.
2) Listen to and discuss an educational audio recording about how sleep deprivation has been proven to significantly contribute to weight gains in people of all ages, ranging from toddlers to adults.
3) Read an individually assigned reading pertaining to a specific harmful effect of sleep deprivation and complete a chart that demonstrates their analysis of the source.
4) Discuss and share insights from their reading with other classmates who read different articles on the harmful effects of sleep deprivation.
5) Complete a brief mini-research paper that demonstrates their comprehensive understanding of sleep deprivation's harmful effects.
**Three Bonus Video Clips!