What do your dreams actually mean? Are they symbolic for our struggles and unconscious desires or are they more biological in nature? Students will explore dreams in-depth and share their dreams with fellow classmates, analyzing how they fit in with existing theories about dreams.
Throughout the lesson students will:
1) Respond to a Bell Ringer in which students try to determine the meaning of a bizarre dream.
2) Watch a brief video clip about the biological and psychological components of dreaming.
3) Read an introductory piece about two of the most prominent dream interpretation theories that exist: Freud's psychoanalytic theory and the activation synthesis theory.
4) Analyze another bizarre dream utilizing the two prominent theories.
5) Partake in a creative writing assignment in which students reveal a recurring or memorable dream they have experienced.
6) In groups of 2-3 students, students will analyze three different dreams utilizing the psychoanalytic theory and activation synthesis theory.
7) Finish with an exit ticket that asks students to evaluate which dream theory best applies to interpreting dreams.
**Bonus video clips and audio recordings included!