Should parents use spanking as a discipline tool? After understanding the basics of operant conditioning and researching professional articles on this controversial topic, students will be engaged in a competitive team debate about spanking and also write a mini-research paper that demonstrates their thoughts on this divisive operant conditioning technique.
Throughout the lesson students will:
1) Respond to a bell ringer that urges them to evaluate the effectiveness of the discipline they received as a young kid.
2) Read an information article about the basics of operant conditioning.
3) Analyze real life operant conditioning scenarios and identify which techniques are being used.
4) After listening to an audio recording and watching a short video clip, discuss as a class the topic of spanking in school.
5) Conduct research on the topic of parental spanking with a guided worksheet.
6) Engage in a class wide competitive debate in which opposing teams will argue for or against parental spanking.
7) Finish by writing a mini-research paper demonstrating their thoughts on this controversial operant conditioning technique.