How do you raise a smart baby/toddler? Baby genius videos, complex blinking toys and vitamins for toddlers all promise to help make infants and young children more intelligent. In this lesson, students will not only learn that simplicity is usually the recipe for raising a smart baby, but they will also apply these strategies when they create their own baby/toddler show that will promote brain power!
Throughout the lesson students will:
1) Respond to a Bell Ringer in which students analyze a portion of a "baby genius" episode and explain which components of the show they think would help promote cognitive growth in an infant/toddler.
2) Listen to an audio recording about the problems of these baby genius shows based on recent research and answer questions that go along with the recording.
3) Read an article about some of the more overlooked, but simple ways to raise a smart child.
4) With a partner or individually, create a television show for toddlers that promotes brain growth and then present the show to the rest of the class.
5) Finish with an exit ticket about what was learned during the lesson about raising a smart child.