This is a multi-lesson, 9-page packet for introducing students to The Crucible and getting them prepared to read an analyze the play! It is Common-Core aligned, and provides an overview of essential questions for the unit!
The packet walks students through a series of activities in order to familiarize them with several key concepts in the play. The packet is user-friendly, highly organized, and visually engaging, making it easy for students to stay on track!
The packet includes:
1) A pre-reading discussion question activity
2) Information about the play's publication history
3) A section for analyzing the literal and metaphorical meanings of a "crucible"
4) An examination of theocracies
5) A place for taking notes about allegories
6) A chart for students to compare and contrast the Salem Witch Trials with McCarthyism
7) Two nonfiction reading passages with guided questions to help the students familiarize themselves with information relating the Puritans and the Communists hunts of the 1950s