Your students will be excited to learn about Previewing and Predicting with this motivational resource. The activities can be an engaging addition to an already existing Mystery Unit or can be used alone when teaching this skill.
Lots of WOWs to jump start the mystery genre using real world ideas that will keep your students wanting more.
This resource offers choices of graphic organizers and /or foldable projects. I use the projects for guided lessons and the graphic organizers as an assessment. Rubrics are provided for easy grading.
There are 2 types of graphic organizers and foldables available for teaching or assessing the Preview and Predict skill. One has specific questions and the other is more open-ended. This gives the teacher choices for differentiation or gradual release.
Foldable projects work well with interactive notebooks, folders, or bulletin board displays
Ideas and directions for students to make a detective briefcase out of a cereal box or folder is also included. Students add pictures or 3D objects to put into the briefcase as a visual symbol of the skills they will be learning about. Additional motivational materials are listed below.
Essential Question posters will spark discussion of skills being taught.
Sharing ideas with partners, team, or full class is also encouraged with the use of a “Rules for Discussion” poster to ensure success.
This product also includes:
* Lesson Plans
* Mystery Elements Poster (3 choices) 1 black and white, 2 color
* Preview and Predict Poster (color)
* 20 Mystery Vocabulary Mini Posters with definition and picture (color)
* 14 Skill Mini Posters with description of the skill and a picture (color)
* 9 Essential Question Posters with detective pictures (color)
* 1 Rules for Discussion Poster (color)
* 1 KWL Graphic Organizer
* 1 KWLQ Foldable
* 2 Graphic Organizers for Preview and Predict (Specific Questions or Open Ended)
* 2 Foldable Projects for Preview and Predict (Specific Questions or Open Ended) with directions and templates
* 2 “I Can Predict and Preview” certificates (1 boy & 1 girl detective)
* Lots of lists of suggested Short Mysteries to introduce the genre or use in a lesson with Lexile or Guided Reading Levels
* Detective Briefcase Project Directions and Lesson Suggestions
* Detective Tool pictures (can go in briefcase) to symbolize reading skills
* List of additional Teacher Internet Resources
* 1 Super Sleuth Cover page for interactive folder or notebook (black and white)
* 2 Grading Rubrics (1 Primary Poster (color), 1 Intermediate for each Student)
* Student Detective Badges (color)
Check out the products below that make learning hands-on and fun, at the same time utilizing the Common Core. Just click on the link.
Cinderella, Culture and the Common Core: A Multicultural Fairytale Unit
(Also available in a black and white version)
Winter Math Centers with Task Cards and Games: CCSS Aligned
Script Writing, Puppet Making, and Dramatization Project
Biography Informational Text Research and Project
Vocabulary Aquisition and Synonym Games and Practice (Word of the Day)