Your students will be excited to learn about Previewing and Predicting with this motivational resource. The activities can be an engaging addition to an already existing Mystery Unit or can be used alone when teaching this skill.
Lots of WOWs to jump start the mystery genre using real world ideas that will keep your students wanting more.
This resource offers choices of graphic organizers and /or foldable projects. I use the projects for guided lessons and the graphic organizers as an assessment. Rubrics are provided for easy grading.
There are 2 types of graphic organizers and foldables available for teaching or assessing the Preview and Predict skill. One has specific questions and the other is more open-ended. This gives the teacher choices for differentiation or gradual release.
Foldable projects work well with interactive notebooks, folders, or bulletin board displays
Ideas and directions for students to make a detective briefcase out of a cereal box or folder is also included. Students add pictures or 3D objects to put into the briefcase as a visual symbol of the skills they will be learning about. Additional motivational materials are listed below.
Essential Question posters will spark discussion of skills being taught.
Sharing ideas with partners, team, or full class is also encouraged with the use of a “Rules for Discussion” poster to ensure success.
This product also includes:
* Lesson Plans
* Mystery Elements Poster (3 choices) 1 black and white, 2 color
* Preview and Predict Poster (color)
* 20 Mystery Vocabulary Mini Posters with definition and picture (color)
* 14 Skill Mini Posters with description of the skill and a picture (color)
* 9 Essential Question Posters with detective pictures (color)
* 1 Rules for Discussion Poster (color)
* 1 KWL Graphic Organizer
* 1 KWLQ Foldable
* 2 Graphic Organizers for Preview and Predict (Specific Questions or Open Ended)
* 2 Foldable Projects for Preview and Predict (Specific Questions or Open Ended) with directions and templates
* 2 “I Can Predict and Preview” certificates (1 boy & 1 girl detective)
* Lots of lists of suggested Short Mysteries to introduce the genre or use in a lesson with Lexile or Guided Reading Levels
* Detective Briefcase Project Directions and Lesson Suggestions
* Detective Tool pictures (can go in briefcase) to symbolize reading skills
* List of additional Teacher Internet Resources
* 1 Super Sleuth Cover page for interactive folder or notebook (black and white)
* 2 Grading Rubrics (1 Primary Poster (color), 1 Intermediate for each Student)
* Student Detective Badges (color)
Save over 20% with my all-inclusive Mystery Genre Bundle that includes includes “Story Elements, Text Evidence, and Inferencing”, Vocabulary: Acquisition and Context Clues, and “Preview and Predict” resources. This bundle has everything you need to teach reading skills within the engaging mystery genre and can be used with any detective mystery story.
The Mystery Genre: Bundled Unit for Grades 3-5
What better way to learn reading skills than through the eyes of a detective. Students become reading detectives who need to read closely, observe, think critically, answer questions, find evidence, make inferences, and come to conclusions. Speaking and Listening skills are also integrated into the lessons.
Each lesson provides gradual release for your students that starts with demonstration and practice and then leads into collaboration, and independent work.
Common Core Standards and objectives are included with every lesson.
Check out the products below that make learning hands-on and fun, at the same time utilizing the Common Core. Just click on the link.
Cinderella, Culture and the Common Core: A Multicultural Fairytale Unit
(Also available in a black and white version)
Winter Math Centers with Task Cards and Games: CCSS Aligned
Script Writing, Puppet Making, and Dramatization Project
Biography Informational Text Research and Project
Vocabulary Aquisition and Synonym Games and Practice (Word of the Day)
It’s important to me that teachers are completely satisfied with their purchase!
If you have any question or concerns about this product please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also go to the Q and A section of my TPT store and leave a message
GREAT NEWS!! TPT now offers schools the ability to purchase resources for you.
Click on the “SCHOOLS” link above on this page (upper right).
EARNING TPT CREDITS
After purchasing and using this product you can earn TpT credits by leaving feedback. I love reading feedback and really appreciate the time you take to let me know how you used this resource with your students and what you loved best. To leave feedback and start earning TpT credits:
1. Go to your “My Purchases" and click on the Provide Feedback link.
2. Let us know how you used this product in your classroom and what you loved best!
Download the preview to see the full list of skills included and some sample pages.
DON’T MISS OUT
If you like this product, please visit Chrysti’s Class
to see more.
All new products are on sale the first 2 days after publishing. To find out about my new products, sales, freebies, and any product updates, click the star green ★ button at the top of my store page or when you download a free resource.