This 59 slide Power Point and Notes bundle covers the topics found in the first chapter of a typical biology textbook.
Written for biology or life science students in grades 8-12, this colorful and engaging PowerPoint will hook your students from the very first day. The slides are packed with photos and diagrams that will grab and hold your student's attention.
Please Note: This product is included in my "Introduction to Biology" Complete Unit Plan Bundle. Click this link to view bundle.
In addition to the Powerpoint, this product comes with a complete set of lecture notes (11 pages) for the teacher, and an outline of the notes (13 pages) for the students. Students will fill in their outline as the lessons are being taught.
Your students are going to love using the outline as you teach. It allows the student more freedom to listen, think, and ask questions during note-taking. The notes are also perfect for students with disabilities or IEP's.
This PowerPoint covers the following information:
• The Nature of Science: The natural world, how science is done, data, types of data, forming a hypothesis.
• The Themes of Biology.
• Cell Structure and Organization: Unicellular, colonial, multicellular, cell specialization, advantages and disadvantages of cell specialization.
• Reproduction: Asexual and sexual reproduction definitions with examples.
• Evolution: Definition, the role of natural selection.
• Homeostasis, interdependence, matter and energy, autotrophs and heterotrophs.
• The Scientific Method: Steps of the scientific method, the hypothesis, designing a controlled experiment, control and experimental groups, independent and dependent variables, conclusions, theory.
• Tabling, Graphing and Analyzing Data: Students will learn to construct data tables, line graphs, and bar graphs. Students complete practice problems to ensure mastery.
• Early Ideas About the Origin of Life: Biogenesis, spontaneous generations, Francesco Redi, Lazzaro Spallanzani, Louis Pasteur.
• The Characteristics of Life.
• The Microscope: Students will label the parts of the microscope and learn the function for each part.
• Compound Light Microscopes: How to determine total magnification, definition of resolution, how to measure a specimen viewed in a microscopic field of view.
• Electron Microscope.
Your download will include the following:
1) A 59 slide powerpoint
2) A pdf of the student notes
3) A Word document of the student notes
4) A pdf of the teacher notes.
5) A Word document of the teacher notes.
Related Products Include:
Biology Buzz Words: Introduction to Biology
Chapter Test: Intro to Biology
Lab: The Compound Microscope
Lab: The Characteristics of Life
Lab Safety Powerpoint and Notes
The Ultimate Lab Safety Bundle for Science Teachers
Lab: Use of Lab Equipment and Data Analysis Skills
Microscope, Scientific Method, Intro to Biology Crossword Puzzle
Scientific Method, Intro to Biology, Microscope Jeopardy Review Game
Intro to Biology (Themes, Scientific Method, Characteristics of Life, Microscope) Set of 4 quizzes
Graphing Practice Problems
Microscope Crossword Puzzle
Microscope Homework / Study Guide
Scientific Method Homework / Study Guide
What's In a NAme? (A Study of Biological Prefixes and Suffixes)
Science Skills Worksheet and PowerPoint: Comparing and Contrasting
Science Skills Lab: Student Designed Experiment
Scientific Method Task Cards
Microscope Task Cards
For product updates and news please follow me at:
My TpT Store
My Facebook Page