This is a 67-slide presentation to introduce students to college and post-high school life! This is in the form of Google Slides and you are able to edit/customize this presentation to best fit your needs.
Some of the topics this presentation explores:
- The difference between different degrees (Associates, Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate)
- Community College
- 4 year college/university
- Trade School
- Picking a major (With a list of over 20 different majors)
- How college classes work
- Financial Aid (Grants, Scholarships, Student Loans)
- What life in college looks like
- Studying abroad
- Graphics that show how different degrees affect your income and employment opportunities
- What schools look for (with engaging and relevant gifs!)
- A fun Ellen Show video about kids going to college
- A Ted Talk video about grit and growth mindset
- A list of vocabulary for potential quizzes
This presentation usually takes 2-3 days because students often ask questions, have discussions, and are generally very engaged and interested! It also includes fun gifs and pop culture references to keep young people excited and paying attention! I require my students to take college-style notes as I go through the presentation.
While this was designed for high school students in a College and Career Readiness course, it is possible for middle school students as well, along with an AVID program.