Introduction to Pre-Algebra is a great tool to reinforce the beginning pre-algebra topics. Each of the following topics are explained in words, followed by several problems for the students to complete. The topics on this document include:
1. Classifying numbers as integers, wholes or natural numbers.
2. Finding the opposite of a number.
3. Finding the absolute value of a number.
4. Identifying which number is greater than or less than another number using inequality symbols.
5. Using the positive and negative rules for adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing integers.
6. Converting from a fraction to a decimal.
7. Converting from a fraction to a percent.
8. Converting from decimal to a percent.
9. Converting from percent to a fraction.
10. Converting from a percent to a decimal.
11. Multiply and divide fractions.
12. Add and subtract decimals.
13. Evaluate integers with exponents, especially negative integers raised to a power.
14. Use the order of operations to simplify an expression.
Since there is an explanation for each topic and then problems to complete, this is an excellent sheet to give to students to work on when the teacher is absent.
This Introduction to Pre-Algebra would also be an excellent review for a test.