The problems and activities within this document are designed to assist students in achieving the following standards: S.IC.1 and S.IC.3, as well as the standards for mathematics practice and the literacy standards. They are also designed to help the teacher assess the students’ abilities when it comes to working with the ideas within the standards.
This document contains the following:
- notes and class work for an introduction to statistics lesson (including key terms such as data, statistics, populations, samples, parameters, and statistics as numerical values)
- a differentiated homework assignment correlating to the introduction to statistics lesson
- notes and classwork for the four types of data collection methods, including determining whether or not a bias is likely to occur
- homework relating to data collection methods
- a quick quiz regarding the basics of statistics, data collection methods, and bias
- a collaborative learning activity for sampling techniques
- practice problems regarding sampling techniques
- homework related to the sampling technique lesson
- a quick quiz on sampling techniques
- student self-assessment for this mini unit
*Of course, you can rearrange the problems in this document for use as class work, homework, quizzes, tests, etc. as you wish!
About my Products:
While the PARCC assesses many of the mathematical practice standards, I aim to create many problems and activities that require students to apply the skills outlined in the performance level descriptors. I believe that the more students are exposed to such types of work, the more likely they are to develop a conceptual understanding of the concepts & of their own learning, succeed on the PARCC, and hence the more likely they are to be prepared for success in college and/or their future careers. If you happen to have any questions or concerns regarding anything your purchase (or download for free), please do not hesitate to contact me! Have a wonderful school year! :)