This presentation models how to find the main idea and summarize. Students learn to find the thesis statement, which expresses the main idea; locate supporting details; organize and write a summary.
- note to teacher
- PowerPoint notes
- “A Chocolate a Day Keeps the Doctor Away” text, hamburger organizers, and summary organizer
- exit ticket
- generic hamburger organizer
- generic box and bullets organizer
Like each of my fourth grade informational text units, this resource is available in three formats:
- PowerPoint (this resource) – for teachers who want a clear introduction to the standard
- Practice – for teachers whose students need extra work on the standard
- Unit - *best value* for teachers who want a complete learning cycle: direct instruction, guided practice, independent practice, and assessment (PowerPoint, practice, additional resources, companion website, and paperless Google option included.)
You can choose the format that best fits your needs.
Would you like to know when I post more resources? Simply follow me on TpT.
Fourth Grade Standards Addressed
- CCSS RI.4.2 – Determine the main idea of a text and explain how it is supported by key details; summarize the text.
- Alaska Reading Standard for Informational Text Grade 4 – Determine the main idea of a text and explain how it is supported by key details; paraphrase or summarize key ideas, events, or procedures including correct sequence when appropriate.
- Florida CPALMS LAFS.4.RI.1.2 – Determine the main idea of a text and explain how it is supported by key details; summarize the text.
- Indiana Academic Standard 4.RN.2.2 – Determine the main idea of a text and explain how it is supported by key details; summarize the text.
- Nebraska English Language Arts Standard LA 4.1.6.e – Determine main ideas and supporting details from informational text and/or media.
- Oklahoma Academic Standards for English Language Arts 4.2.R.1 – Students will distinguish how key details support the main idea of a passage.
- South Carolina College- and Career-Ready Standards Indicator 4.6.1 – Summarize multi-paragraph texts using key details to support the central idea.
- Virginia Standards of Learning 4.6 (c and d) – Identify the main idea and summarize supporting details.
Burger clipart was created by Educlips.
Photographs were purchased from Shutterstock.