“Introduction to Written Rhythms” is my Christmas-themed, Smart Notebook LESSON that introduces your young students to two eighth notes, a quarter note, and a quarter rest. I use this with kindergarten, but you can use it with surrounding grades, as well. I do not label the notes with their names or a system of counting, so you can easily make this your own. For this lesson, I only use the stems of each note (no note heads). I can leave this for a sub that has music experience. This is similar to my “Introduction to Written Rhythms” Thanksgiving version. The changes are: 1. Christmas theme, 2. Addition of “Up on the Housetop” rhythms at the end.
Included in this lesson are:
1. Review of long and short sounds with icons,
2. introduction to two eighths and quarter note,
3. Practice reading four-beat rhythm patterns with those two kinds of notes,
4. Composition page where students can drag notes up to the beats to create a four-beat pattern of their own,
5. Introduction to the rest "sh!" (I have "shh" written, but you can easily change the text on this page by unlocking it and typing your own).
6. Composition page adding the rest to the choices (4-beat pattern page and a 16-beat pattern page)
7. Twelve practice pages - read the rhythm then play it on classroom instruments. Each practice page includes a recording of the correct rhythm.
8. “Up on the Housetop” – reading the rhythms. There is no recording in this file due to copyright laws, but you can easily link your version of this song in the lesson. I have included instructions on how to link your recording to this file. I get my recordings from my Macmillan/McGraw-Hill texts and YouTube.
I hope you enjoy!
You may also like:
Easy Christmas Choreography Videos
Beethoven Trivia Game
Rhythm Taco Stand
Music Detective Case 1: Case of the Missing Manuscript
Wild about Rhythm - Call and Response Game
Found Sound Scavenger Hunt Outdoor Activity for Music Class
Faeries and Giants Movement Activity for Music Class - Smart Notebook Version
Rhythm Ice Cream Truck - Perfect for Young Musicians - Great Sub Plan
Connect with Meg’s Music Room!
TpT - Be sure to follow my TpT store by clicking on the red “Follow Me” button next to my seller picture to receive notifications of new products and upcoming sales! Meg's Music Room Store
Blog - Meg's Music Room Blog
Facebook - Meg's Music Room Facebook Page
Copyright © Megan Heikkila. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements in this product are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use only.