“Introduction to Written Rhythms” is my turkey-themed, Smart Notebook LESSON that introduces your young students to two eighth notes, a quarter note, and a quarter rest. I use this with kindergarten, but you can use it with surrounding grades, as well. I do not label them with their names or a system of counting, so you can easily make this your own. For this lesson, I only use the stems of each note (no note heads). I can leave this for a sub that has music experience.
Included in this lesson are:
1. Review of long and short sounds with icons,
2. introduction to two eighths and quarter note,
3. Practice reading four-beat rhythm patterns with those two kinds of notes,
4. Composition page where students can drag notes up to the beats to create a four-beat pattern of their own,
5. Introduction to the rest "sh!" (I have "shh" written, but you can easily change the text on this page by unlocking it and typing your own).
6. Composition page adding the rest to the choices (4-beat pattern page and a 16-beat pattern page)
7. Twelve practice pages - read the rhythm then play it on classroom instruments. Each practice page includes a recording of the correct rhythm.
I hope you enjoy!
You may also like:
Beethoven Trivia Game
Found Sound Scavenger Hunt Outdoor Activity for Music Class
Faeries and Giants Movement Activity for Music Class
ALL-YEAR Lesson Plan Template Bundle - Arkansas Elementary Music
Composer Trivia Bundle - Beethoven Mozart Williams Jeopardy Games
Music Detective Game Bundle
Rhythm Quiz 1 - Quarter Notes Paired Eighth Notes Quarter Rest Elementary Music
- POWERPOINT FILE WITH ANSWER KEY AND STUDENT ANSWER SHEET. This Rhythm Quiz 1 works well as an assessment after doing “Whoo’s Got Rhythm.”
Rhythm Worksheets - Notes and Rests - Elementary Music Matching Assessment
- PRINTABLE PDF DOCUMENTS
Kindergarten Music Rhythm Bell Ringers/Class starters with Note Head Game
"Whoo's Got Rhythm" - Easy Rhythm game - Quarter Note Quarter Rest 2 Eighths
Elementary Music Bell Ringers- Rhythm Dynamics Treble Clef Bass Instruments
Music Detective Case 3: Case of the Rhythm Pirates' Treasure
Rhythm Taco Stand
Wild about Rhythm - Call and Response Game
Connect with Meg’s Music Room!
TpT - Be sure to follow my TpT store by clicking on the red “Follow Me” button next to my seller picture to receive notifications of new products and upcoming sales! Meg's Music Room Store
Blog - Meg's Music Room Blog
Facebook - Meg's Music Room Facebook Page
Copyright © Megan Heikkila. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements in this product are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use only.