Get your students thinking critically and creatively about the core elements of poetry and performance with this lesson plan focused on finding connections.
- Warm-up with a short exercise to explore the features of the blues, and song generally, that overlap with poetry using "Riverbank Blues" by Sterling A. Brown
- Creatively interpret Nikki Giovanni's "Ego Trippin'," then compare their choices to a recording by professional musical group
- See youth perform original poetry at Brave New Voices, and analyze the characteristics of spoken word
- Guide critical thinking with careful questions
- Facilitate activities with clear, step-by-step instructions and a printable "Strategies to make meaning of poetry"
- Model vocabulary-rich and evidence-driven analysis with answers to all prompts