Get your students thinking critically and creatively about the purpose of poetry with this lesson plan.
- Warm-up with a Mini-BINGO game that reveals prior knowledge and creates student community around key vocabulary words
- Practice using vocabulary terms such as 'prose' and 'aesthetic'
- Investigate how a professional thinks about poetry with a small group, looking at either "Introduction to Poetry" by Billy Collins or "A True Poem" by Lloyd Schwartz
- Participate in a "Battle of the Minds" to articulate the purpose of poetry
- Guide critical thinking with careful questions
- Facilitate activities and games with clear, step-by-step instructions
- Model vocabulary-rich and evidence-driven analysis with (1) answers to all prompts and (2) a printable set of analysis questions for before reading, while reading and after reading to guide students' independent efforts to make meaning throughout a poetry unit
- Have the tools to easily differentiate for both the individual and group work