This packet is a companion to the "Introduction to poetry" mini-unit. The full series introduces middle and high school students to foundational concepts in poetry with interdisciplinary methods.
The packet includes
- 9 core vocabulary words and definitions for students to use in discussion, writing and homework.
- 10 poems, representing diverse writers who use free verse, rhyme, hip hop and the blues to share a message.
- A list of 6 major strategies to make sense of poetry. Get the resources to teach these strategies and practice in either the Theme for English B
or in the full mini unit
- These 12 pages include all the paper materials students need in class for the lesson series of about one week. It can replace a notebook or binder, and simplify a secondary student's life.
- This curated collection reflects poems that are accessible and challenging for the average middle or high school reader who needs guidance to foray into poetry beyond Dr. Seuss.