Historical fiction is one of the most interesting literary genres, and it's important for students to be able to distinguish between it and nonfiction. One of the ways I help students to navigate and analyze texts intelligently is by providing direct instruction about each genre.
This historical fiction lesson contains :
1. a PPT minilesson for introducing the historical fiction genre, complete with examples using movie trailers and book trailers for historical fiction texts
2. guided notes for the PPT
3. comprehension and analysis questions for examining Chapter 1 of The Help as a work of historical fiction
4. a historical fiction assignment that encourages students to think about how our society will be viewed by historical fiction writers in the future
This historical fiction lesson would work well as part of a larger genre unit, as a stand-alone lesson, or as a piece of a literary analysis unit, among other possibilities.
If you like this product, you may be interested in:
Mr. Peabody and Sherman Movie Analysis
Narrative Genres Unit
Brave, a Made-from-Scratch Fairy Tale
And more here
Stay in touch:
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
© 2017 The Reading & Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.