This is a homework packet that turns into a completed study guide. This study guide will help your students master the information for the unit test.
This document is a 9 page student worksheet consisting of 99 questions. As I am teaching my introductory unit on plants, I assign a portion of these questions for homework each night. This document provides quality homework assignments and ends up being a completed and thorough study guide for the unit test. This worksheet of homework questions and problems was written to go along with my Powerpoint on this same topic: Introduction to Plants PPT and Notes
All answers are included in the additional 6 page teacher guide that is included with this product.
PLEASE NOTE: This product is included in my bundled complete unit plan which can be viewed here: The Plant Kingdom: Introduction and Classification. Complete Unit Bundle of Products.
The questions are of varying difficulty levels. Question types include compare and contrast, fill in the blank, short answer, multiple choice, matching, true/false, and four graphic organizers. Many of the questions are basic and concrete in nature, but many of the questions involve critical thinking and problem solving skills.
Your download will include both a Word document as well as a pdf of this extensive homework/study guide.
This study guide is appropriate for any biology or life science class with students in grades 8 - 12.
Topics covered are:
1. Introduction to Plants: Importance of plants to life on Earth, definition of a plant.
2. Plant life cycle: Alternation of generations, sporophyte and gametophyte generations, haploid and diploid phases, the production of spores by meiosis, flow chart showing alternation of generations.
3. The Transition of Plants to Land: The algae were the first plants on earth, evidence that algae are the ancestors to the land plants, advantages to a life on land, challenges to a life on land.
4. Cladogram showing the evolution of mosses, liverworts, ferns, gymnosperms, and angiosperms from ancestral algae.
5. Traits of the True Land Plants: Alternation of generations, spores produced by sporangia, multicellular gametangia, apical meristems, vascular tissue, nonmotile gametes, root system, protection from dehydration.
6. Classification of Land Plants: Vascular and nonvascular land plants, bryophytes, tracheophytes, seedless plants, seed plants, gymnosperms, angiosperms, monocots and dicots.
7. Flow chart showing the classification of the land plants.
8. Bryophytes: Characteristics of bryophytes, examples of bryophytes, explanation of why the bryophytes are still tied to a watery existence, bryophytes are nonvascular plants, bryophytes have a dominant gametophyte generation.
9. Example: The Liverworts. Characteristics of liverworts, students will draw and label the structures of a liverwort, liverwort life cycle.
10. Example: The Mosses. Characteristics of mosses, students will draw and label the structures of a moss, moss life cycle.
11. The Seedless Vascular Plants: The evolution of vascular tissue, the importance of xylem and phloem, why ferns are classified as seedless vascular plants.
12. Characteristics of ferns, students will draw and label the structures of a fern, fern life cycle.
13. The Seed Plants: Seed plants are the dominant plants on earth, two groups of seed plants, gymnosperms and angiosperms, the advantage of having a type of reproduction free from water, adaptations seen in the seed plants, cones and flowers, pollen, seeds, the evolution of seed plants.
14. Characteristics of gymnosperms.
15. Characteristics of angiosperms.
16. Comparison of monocots and dicots.
You might also be interested in the following related products:
Introduction to the Plant Kingdom PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Plant Evolution and Classification Warm Ups and Interactive Notebook Pages
Plant Structure and Function Warm Ups and Interactive Notebook Pages
FREE Plant Kingdom Graphic Organizer
Intro to Plants Unit Test
Introduction to the Plant Kingdom: Question and Answer Review PowerPoint
Plant Reproduction and Response Warm Ups and Interactive Notebook Pages
Intro to Plants Set of 3 Quizzes
Intro to Plants Crossword Puzzles Set of 2
Lab: Mosses, Ferns and Liverworts
Lab: Diversity of the Plant Kingdom - A Living Plant Lab
Lab: Transpiration in Plants
I hope that you will follow me at:
My TpT Store
Science Stuff Blog
My Facebook Page
Amy Brown (aka Science Stuff)