These lecture notes were used with a 12th grade class to direct/ focus student discussion. Important/ New Terms are defined, important quotations are included and other Dostoevsky texts are referenced. Very successful in class!
Topics in Lecture Notes Include:
- Svidrigaylove as Raskolnikov's Double/ Doppleganger
- The Double/ Doppleganger in Dostoevsky's "The Double"
- Relationship Between Dostoevsky and Jung (Dostoevsky's presupposition of Jung's "The Shadow")
- Background Information on Carl Jung and Jung's Archetypes
- The Collective Unconscious
- Dostoevsky's Use of Unarticulated Archetypes
- The Relationship among Golyadkin's "Double" or Twin, Svidrigaylov, and Raskolnikov
- Examination of Albert Bem's Criticism "The Problem of Guilt"
- Svidrigaylov as Ubermensh or "Superman" (includes quotations from "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" and definitions)