This 18 slide ecology lesson package includes an inquiry project with marking rubric and discusses Invasive Species. Specifically the lesson compares Invasive vs. Native Species, The Effect of an Invasive Species on an Ecosystem, Controlling Invasive Species and then takes a more indepth look at The Small Asian Mongoose as well as 5 Extreme Cases of Invasive Species. There are 4 videos embedded in the PowerPoint. Simply start the slideshow and click the image and they will open in your browser. The PowerPoint contains diagrams, examples and explanations. It includes the lesson (student and teacher versions of the PowerPoint), an inquiry project with rubric and a student lesson handout as a word document which follows the PowerPoint.
- "Great resource! Video links were awesome"
- "great resource! thanks!"
- "A great format for the students to follow and use."
Included in the lesson package is:
- The teacher version of the Power Point
- The student version of the Power Point
- An Inquiry Project on Invasive Species with marking rubric
- FOUR videos embedded into the Power Point
- Student lesson handout
***********This activity can also be found bundled at a significant discount in my Invasive Species - Complete 5E Lesson Bundle. If you'd like to take a look, please CLICK HERE.
In order, the lesson covers:
- Invasive vs. Native Species
- The Effect of an Invasive Species on an Ecosystem
- The Small Asian Mongoose Case Study
- Controlling Invasive Species
- 5 Extreme Invasive Species
- "Love this!!!!"
- "This was exactly what I needed! Students were engaged and interested throughout."
- "A great resource, easy to follow!"
You might also be interested in the following activities as they relate directly to invasive species and biodiversity.
• Invasive Species - Device-Based Scavenger Hunt Activity - Let the Hunt begin!
• Invasive Species - Scientific Reading Comprehension Article – Grades 5-7
• Invasive Species - A Science Reading Comprehension - Grades 8 and Above
• Biodiversity and Invasive Species - 7 Engaging Lab Station Activities
The student version of the power point contains multiple blanks that need to be filled in throughout the lesson. These blanks are conveniently underlined and bolded on the teacher copy. I have found this to be the most effective means of keeping my students engaged and active without having them write everything out. This also leaves more time for discussion and activities.
**Please note that the ENTIRE UNIT including all PowerPoints, 2 Culminating Tasks and my Task Card Review Activity can be purchased for a steep discount by clicking here!
The individual Ecology Lessons can be found below:
Lesson 1 - The Spheres of the Earth
Lesson 2 - Ecosystems
Lesson 3 - Energy Flow In Ecosystems
Lesson 4 - Cycling of Matter In Ecosystems
Lesson 5 - Population Influences within Ecosystems
Lesson 6 - Ecological Succession
Lesson 7 - Biomass and Fossil Fuels
Lesson 8 - The Importance of Biodiversity
Lesson 9 - Invasive Species
You might also be interested in these assignments which can be found within the unit.
- Ecosystems Lab Experiment: Ecobottles Lab
Creative Story Assignment
- Water and Carbon Cycle Diagram Activity
- Human Impact on Ecosystems Assignment
Please view the Preview File to obtain a sense of my style, see how my power point lesson is structured and evaluate my work.
I also have a range assignments and lessons/units from other grade levels at my store. Please CLICK HERE to have a look around and don’t forget to follow if you like what you see.
Also, please visit my blog Teach With Fergy
for my thoughts on teaching, learning and everything in between.