Investigating Isotopes Activity
Atoms & Elements Unit
Students will be able to…
• Define and identify isotopes
• Calculate the average mass when given the mass and percent abundance of isotopes
• Investigating Isotopes Cards
• Investigating Isotopes WS
• Investigating Isotopes – KEY
• Isotopes & Average Atomic Mass WS
• Isotopes & Average Atomic Mass WS – KEY
(All items compiled in 1 PDF document. Document cannot be edited.)
Directions: Print “Investigating Isotope Cards” (a set of cards for each student or group), laminate (optional), and cut-out cards. Have students pair up with a partner. Students should use the cards to answer the appropriate questions on the “Investigating Isotopes” WS. After completing the Investigating Isotopes Activity, students may complete the “Isotopes & Average Atomic Mass” WS.
• Students could complete the Investigating Isotopes Activity in class. Students could then begin the Isotopes & “Average Atomic Mass” WS in class and finish the assignment for HW.
• The “Isotopes & Average Atomic Mass” WS could be used as a warm-up assignment where students complete 2-3 problems at the beginning of each class. This repetition of math over the passage of several classes will help students internalize and remember what they have learned about calculating the average mass of isotopes.
***This item may also be purchased as a part of the Atoms & Elements Unit – CURRICULUM BUNDLE
***Check out more Chemistry with Confidence Atoms & Elements Unit
***Check out more curriculum in the Chemistry with Confidence TeachersPayTeachers Store
***Check out the Chemistry with Confidence website