This product, by It’s Not Rocket Science,
is an investigative activity to help students understand the relationship between macromolecules and our diet and exercise habits. Students will use an online simulator to investigate the effects of different diet and exercise strategies on human health and weight loss. Students will enter four different diet and exercise plans into the simulator and record weight change, BMI difference, and heart health for a year long period. Students will then analyze their data to come up with the most effective weight-loss strategy. Finally, students will have a chance to input their current diet and exercise habits to see the effects it is taking on their bodies.
Do not purchase if you have already purchased my Biology Basics Unit Bundle, Biology Complete Curriculum Bundle,
or Biology Activities Bundle
because you already have this product!
How can I use this?
• Practice for mastery of macromolecules
• Fun review activity of macromolecules as you prepare for your unit test
What is included?
• 3 pages of teacher implementation notes
• 3 pages of student handouts
• Answer Key
*NOTE* This lab activity requires Java!!
The online simulation for this lab activity is Java-based, so make sure your available technology can run this program. It is free to download! I have successful used this with my students who have Macs as well as PC computers, however it will not work on a Chromebook or iPad. Please consider this before purchasing!
How much class time will this take?
For the average student this takes 1-1.5 hours. Advanced students will finish more quickly, so it is encouraged to have an additional activity for those who finish 5 or 10 minutes early. Check out my Biology Basics Taboo Cards
as a great option for fast finishers!
Is this aligned to Next Generation Science Standards?
YES! All of my products are aligned with specific Next Generation Science Standards. Specifically, it is aligned with HS-LS1-6: Construct and revise an explanation based on evidence for how carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen from sugar molecules may combine with other elements to form amino acids and/or other large carbon-based molecules.
What if I am looking for something different for macromolecules?
Check out my Macromolecule Murder Mystery Lab
as another fun and interactive activity!
What if I want more?
This product is part of my Biology Basics Unit bundle. Be sure to check it out by clicking here!
What if I have a question?
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org I’d love to answer any questions you have!
How do I stay updated on new products, sales, and freebies?
**Follow Me** by clicking the green star by my store name. I add at least one new product every week so this is the best way to keep up with what’s happening at It’s Not Rocket Science!
• Use this item for your own classroom, students, or for your own personal use.
• Buy additional licenses for others to use this product at 50% off by visiting your TpT “My Purchases” page.
• Review this product to recommend others buy it in blog posts, at professional development workshops, or other venues as long as credit is given to my store with a direct link to my store/product.
You may not...
• Upload this product to any website or server – even one for your classroom.
• Give this product to others without the purchase of an additional license for them (this includes emailing, printing copies, or sharing through a website, cloud or other network.)
• Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.