This investigative online simulation activity helps students understand the relationship between macromolecules and our diet and exercise habits. Students will use an online simulator to investigate the effects of different diet and exercise strategies on human health and weight loss. Students will enter four different diet and exercise plans into the simulator and record weight change, BMI difference, and heart health for a year long period. Students will then analyze their data to come up with the most effective weight-loss strategy. Finally, students will have a chance to input their current diet and exercise habits to see the effects it is taking on their bodies.
How can I use this?
- Practice for mastery of macromolecules
- Fun review activity of macromolecules as you prepare for your unit test
What is included?
- 3 pages of teacher implementation notes (PDF)
- 3 pages of student handouts (PDF)
- Answer Key (PDF)
*NOTE* This lab activity NO LONGER requires Java!!
The online simulation for this lab activity used to be only Java-based, but now there is a non-Java version that works on Chromebooks and tablets!
How much class time will this take?
For the average student this takes 1-1.5 hours. Advanced students will finish more quickly, so it is encouraged to have an additional activity for those who finish 5 or 10 minutes early. Check out my Biology Basics Review Cards as a great option for fast finishers!
What if I am looking for something different for macromolecules?
Check out my Macromolecule Murder Mystery Lab as another fun and interactive activity!
What if I want more?
This product is part of my Biology Basics Unit bundle. Be sure to check it out by clicking here!
What if I have a question?
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org I’d love to answer any questions you have!
How do I stay updated on new products, sales, blogposts, and freebies?
**Follow Me** by clicking the green star by my store name, join my email newsletter, or follow me on Instagram. These are the three best ways to keep up with what’s happening at It’s Not Rocket Science!
• Use this item for your own classroom, students, or for your own personal use.
• Buy additional licenses for others to use this product at a discount by visiting your TpT “My Purchases” page.
• Review this product to recommend others buy it in blog posts, at professional development workshops, or other venues as long as credit is given to my store with a direct link to my store/product.
You may not...
• Upload this product to any website or server – even one for your classroom.
• Give this product to others without the purchase of an additional license for them (this includes emailing, printing copies, or sharing through a website, cloud or other network.)
• Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.
*Note: NGSS is a registered trademark of Achieve. Neither Achieve nor the lead states and partners that developed the Next Generation Science Standards were involved in the production of this product, and do not endorse it.