Students will be able to…
• Determine the Bohr Diagram, Electron Configuration, Lewis Symbol, and number of Valence Electrons for both a neutral atom and an ion.
• Determine how many electrons are gained or lost in the formation of an ion.
• Determine the charge of an ion.
• Ion Story Book Template
• Ion Story Book KEY
• Ion Story Book…Storytelling
(1) Give each student a copy of the “Ion Story Book Template” (Note: Do not print double sided. Two one sided copies are required).
(2) Fold each page horizontally (hamburger fold) along the fold line. Then fold each page a second time along the fold line. Staple the two pages together along the fold lines.
(3) Assign students an element. OR Allow students to pick their own element. I recommend using elements #1-20 unless students are more advanced.
(4) Students should complete their “Ion Story Book”
(5) Students will complete the “Ion Story Book…Storytelling ” assignment. If time does not allow to complete this assignment in class, use it as a bonus assignment.
• If time allows, students can complete one “Ion Story Book” for a cation and one “Ion Story Book” for an anion.
• If students need more practice with the information after completing the story book, students can be asked to create a ‘story’ outline for another ion on a poster or a mini-poster (7½ by 11 copy paper) with a partner.