Looking for differentiated activities to introduce, or review, Ionic Bonding, and Ionic Compounds? Check out the Student Learning Stations covering this topic! Stations are a great way to get your students up and moving around the room; while differentiating to meet the needs of the various learners in your classroom.
As someone who has employed stations in my own classroom, these activities are a great way to engage and motivate students; and allow you to act as a facilitator or work with small groups of struggling learners. Use the stations as in introduction to the topic or use an after-lecture reinforcement tool for the topic(s).
IMPORTANT: This station learning set is part of a GROWING bundle of Chemistry Student Learning Station sets (13). It is currently being offered at a reduced price as it is incomplete; however, it will increase in price as the other components are added. Purchase now to receive all the updates! Click HERE to learn more about the Chemistry Student Learning Stations Bundle
Notes about this product:
[A] This product includes 8 differentiated stations:
-----Teacher and Stations Directions / Printing Overview (pgs. 4-6)
-----Literacy: Reading Station (pgs. 7-9)
• pg. 7 Station Sign and Directions
• pg. 8 Task Cards
• pg. 9 1 page ionic bonding article
• This station will help you incorporate reading into your science classroom
• Highlighters are needed for this station. Print 1 copy of the ionic bonding article per student.
-----Organization Station (pgs. 10-15)
• pg. 10 Station Sign and Directions
• pg. 11 Task Cards 1-4
• pg. 12 Task Cards 5-8
• pg. 13 Figure: Naming Binary Ionic Compounds
• pg. 14 Metal (Cation) Puzzle Pieces
• pg. 15 Nonmetal (Anion) Puzzle Pieces
-----Exploration Station (pgs. 16-21)
• pg. 16 Station Sign and Directions
• pg. 17 Task Cards 1-4
• pg. 18 Task Cards 5-8
• pg. 19 Elemental Cards
• pg. 20 Metals Electron (Lewis) Dot Structure Mat
• pg. 21 Non-metals Electron (Lewis) Dot Structure Mat
**Additional materials will be needed for this station (to be used as valence electrons. Use beads, Bingo chips, candy, or other items to represent valence electrons)
-----Observation Station (pgs. 22-24)
• pg. 22 Station Sign and Directions
• pg. 23 Task Cards 1-4
• pg. 24 Writing Formulas: Ratio of Ions Sheet
-----Literacy: Writing Station (pgs. 25-26)
• 4 Task Cards
• 4 writing prompts are included to have students synthesize what they have learned from all the stations. It is highly recommended that students complete this station toward the end.
• This station will help you incorporate writing into your classroom.
-----Evaluation Station (pgs. 27-29)
• 4 Task Cards (15 questions)
• This station formatively assesses if students are able to meet the Student Learning Station objectives.
--Student pages and teacher answer key included (pgs. 30-34)
--Teacher preparation is required and printing several of the pages in color is encouraged (as outlined in the teacher directions inside the product).
-- I recommend making two versions of the entire set so students have access to a station.
[B] You may click here to view the copyright for my products, which will be strictly enforced; however, it is listed in the product. A single purchase of this product is for individual classroom use by the purchaser only. Additional licenses may be purchased for wide-use distribution (e.g.teacher-to-teacher, departmental, campus, district, region etc.). Disregarding the copyright of this product may subject you to the penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and legal action.
"Bond with James" on social media for additional insights, videos, freebies strategies, and more! !
Disclaimer: This product contains a flattened PDF file with copyrighted images and therefore, it is not editable.
About Bond with James
James is currently a high school science teacher. He has experience as a speaker at local and state conferences. Moreover, James has experience as a high school assistant principal and as a district-level science instructional specialist (supporting teachers across 17 high school campuses in a large, urban district).