This is a 10-page reading response booklet for Bernard Waber’s Ira Sleeps Over for students in 2nd - 3rd Grades. I would also recommend it for fourth grade students whose reading comprehension skills are still developing. I think it could easily be assigned as a book report as well.
This product includes:
• A title page for students to color
• A “Before Reading” page where students make a prediction about what the text will be about, write about a home of a family member or friend they enjoy visiting and finally, record words they expect to read in the text
• A “During Reading” page that requires students (or the teacher) to stop reading at the end of page 15 and write about Ira’s actions, their text-to-self connections and two questions they have at this point
• A second “During Reading” page that requires students (or the teacher) to stop reading at the end of page 37 and write about the inference they make about Reggie, predict Ira’s next move and again, record two questions they have about the text thus far
• A third “After Reading” page where students describe and draw their text-to-self connection
• A one-page original story called “Jenny Goes to Grandma’s”
• A “Text-to-Text” connection page where students will compare “Ira Sleeps Over” and “Jenny Goes to Grandma’s” –there are ample opportunities for all students to make meaningful and literal connections between texts-this page is perfect for all learning levels
• An “Identify the Main Events” page where students write about an important event from the beginning, middle and end (this activity is perfect for students on a modified academic program) students are required to use transitional words for this task
• A “Compound Words” page where students color the pictures of compound words and then write them in alphabetical order –I thought this would work nicely since the word ‘sleepover’ is a compound word
• Bonus! A “Time For Fun” page where students practice their time-telling skills (to five minutes)-the page is based on some of the activities Ira and Reggie might have done on their sleepover
This product does not need to be assigned as a booklet. It can easily be broken up and set up as a number of literacy stations. It would also work very well as your Emergency Plans for your Literacy Block. I have designed this product so that it is easily differentiated. There is something here for all learners. Most students will be able to complete all of the tasks, but there is purposeful work that can be assigned to those students with different learning needs.
The preview is the best description of this product, please be sure to take a look at it as it shows all the items that are included. I’d hate for you to buy this product and find it’s not what you were looking for.
Thanks so much for visiting my store. If there is anything I can do to make this product better suit your needs, please don’t hesitate to ask, sometimes all it takes is a little tweak here and there to make a product perfect for your classroom.