This activity pack includes picture cards with irregular past tense verbs that are grouped by pattern of change (e.g. drive-drove, freeze-froze, write-wrote, etc). Each section of verbs are also organized with color for easy sorting and identifying. (LOW INK VERSION INCLUDED!)
PATTERNS OF CHANGE
- Light Blue – The vowel changes to long “o” (Drive-drove).
- Pink – The ending changes to “ught” or “aught” (bring-brought).
- Dark Green – The vowel changes to a short “u” sound (dig-dug).
- Yellow –The ending changes to “ew” (Fly-flew).
- Dark Blue – The “-d” ending changes to a “t” ending (build-built).
- Lime Green – Vowel changes to a short “a” sound (run-ran).
- Purple – No change (spread-spread).
- Light Blue – Drive/Drove, Ride/Rode, Choose/Chose, Wake/Woke, Speak/Spoke, Break/Broke, Write/Wrote, Rise/Rose, Steal/Stole.
- Pink – Catch/Caught, Buy/Bought, Fight/Fought, Bring/Brought, Teach/Taught, Think/Thought.
- Dark Green – Dig/Dug, Hang/Hung, Sting/Stung, Win/Won, Swing/Swung.
- Yellow – Fly/Flew, Draw/Drew, Throw/Grow, Blow/Blew.
- Dark Blue – Bend/Bent, Send/Sent, Build/Built.
- Lime Green – Drink/Drank, Run/Ran, Sit/Sat, Ring/Rang, Sing/Sang, Swim/Swam
- Purple – Cut/Cut, Hurt/Hurt, Shut/Shut
- There are 36 verb pairs included in this pack (72 irregular verbs in total). This pack includes 1 full color & text version, 1 black & white with text version, 1 full color & no text version, and 1 black and white with no text version. Each version uses the same 36 verbs.
MORE DETAILS & ACTIVITY SUGGESTIONS
- These cards are great to use in a number of ways.
- You can play a matching game with all of the pairs of cards face down. The students can flip cards over trying to find the present and past tense matches, while verbally stating what verb would go with each card they pick up.
- The students can play a Go Fish style game while asking their peers if they have the match for a particular present or past tense verb. You can have them state the card they have and what match they are asking for (e.g., “I have drive. Do you have drove?”).
- A second version of cards has been included that only includes visuals. This increases difficulty somewhat because the students don not have any text to rely on.
- These visual-only cards are great for probes, collecting baselines, and incorporating into different activities.
- Each version also has a black and white/low-ink option, which proves to be printer friendly.
- An additional 24 blank cards have been included (12 tan and 12 black and white). This allows you to add any other verbs that you would like to work on.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
For More Great Products, Sale Updates, Flash Freebies, and All Things FUN IN SPEECH, Click the Links Below and Be Sure to Follow
→ TpT Store