This crossword puzzle contains anagrams of key terms from The Island of the Blue Dolphins. Every clue is a scrambled word that students have to unscramble. For example,"letBat" translates to "battle" in the puzzle, and "finke" translates to "knife." In some clues, the first letter of the word is capped (as in the “battle” clue above) to aid students in decoding the word. Students might not know all the answers, but, as with all crosswords, many will be revealed as students fill in the ones they do know. A good spelling workout!
Below are my fun and unique products over ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS. View all 17 in my store!
• Bookmarks Plus: Island of the Blue Dolphins edition--Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more!
• Island of the Blue Dolphins Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 264 questions!
• Island of the Blue Dolphins: 50-word prereading Crossword—Pair w/Bookmarks Plus! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Island of the Blue Dolphins edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Island of the Blue Dolphins Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• Island of the Blue Dolphins: Synonym/Antonym Crossword—Pair w/Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• Island of the Blue Dolphins: 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• Island of the Blue Dolphins: 2 Reading-for-Detail Crosswords—Based on the Novel! A great way to check students’ reading skills!
• Island of the Blue Dolphins: 3 Category Jumbles Word Puzzles—Fun! Students unscramble words and then place the letters into a series of squares. They then arrange the letters in the shaded boxes to spell out the category word at the top of the puzzle. Students love uncovering the mystery word!
• Island of the Blue Dolphins: 5 Fill In Word Puzzles—Trial and Error! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• Island of the Blue Dolphins: 5 Fractured Maxims Word Puzzles—Unique! Students rearrange “tiles” to form wise sayings that relate to the themes of Island of the Blue Dolphins. Requires students to use their knowledge of the story as well as their knowledge of theme, spelling, phonics, vocabulary, and language!
• Island of the Blue Dolphins: 8 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Categories: Names & Characters; Animals; Plants; Tools & Utensils; Karana; The Island; Karana’s Short Voyage; Sea Elephants;
• Island of the Blue Dolphins: 9 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• Island of the Blue Dolphins: Anagram Crossword—A Spelling Challenge! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next. A unique crossword!
• Island of the Blue Dolphins: Author Crossword—One of a Kind! Students research the author to complete this puzzle. Great extra credit project!
• Island of the Blue Dolphins: 12 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
• Island of the Blue Dolphins: 7 Cryptograms—Encoded Quotations from the Novel! Students decode thought-provoking quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• Island of the Blue Dolphins: Vocabulary Crossword Puzzle—Fun Way to Learn New Words! Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• Island of the Blue Dolphins: 5 Word Searches Based on the Book! Categories: Characters; Sea Elephants; Island Birds; Predators; Spring on the Island
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!