Looking for a culminating activity to wrap up all that you students have learned after reading Island of the Blue Dolphins? This is a perfect group activity that allows you to differentiate for your high, middle and low kiddos. There are 9 activities that can be laced together in a 3x3 quilt. Assign a group of 3, 3 squares each to show what they know. OR, for an individual project, let each student create their own flipbook out of all of the squares! Great for the bulletin board and very engaging!
Many story elements are included in the flip book. The Quilt/Flip Book Pieces included in this set are:
-Cover or center square
-2 Setting Squares/pages- picture of the island and a place for the to write about the island. Included is a Setting Think Sheet to help them think about all of the important things to include in their description and picture
- Letter to Ulape Extension activity. This is a great midbook activity to help the kids summarize what has happened so far and make predictions about what is going to happen next.
- Story Part Wheel: Beginning, Middle and End
- Problem and Solution T-Chart
- 2 Character traits pages- one for Karana and one for Ramo
- The Most Exciting Part Puzzle Piece page (climax)
-An extra blank square for you to create your own!
Check out some other great Novel Studies I have:
Fish in a Tree
There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom
Charlotte's WebBy the Great Horn Spoon
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing