This unit is a comprehensive reading unit on the book: "Island of the Blue Dolphins".
The book is a classic piece of literature for upper elementary or middle school students. It was written in 1960 and was awarded the John Newberry Medal. It is a timeless story of survival, courage, and hope!
Grade Level: 5th
Lexile Level: 1000
It is intended for fifth grade but could be adapted for one grade below as acceleration or one grade above as remediation.
This unit includes the following:
1. A teacher overview.
2. Guided reading comprehension questions for each chapter.
3. Review guides every 5 chapters or so.
4. A quiz every 5-6 chapters.
5. A review unit study guide.
6. A unit test.
7. Lessons elaborating on ideas in various chapters.
8. A creative writing component (journal)
9. A Morse Code lesson.
10. A comparison chart for the book/movie.
11. A creative “island” lesson/project.
12. Other great lesson ideas!
"Island of the Blue Dolphins" An Integrated Reading Unit
by Scott T. Royce
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License