This is a blended learning unit that should take students about 1 week to complete, depending on your students, class length, and so on.
Students begin by selecting from one of three topics within the umbrella of Issues in Public Education: Student Poverty and Funding, Teacher Retention, or Technology.
Students will complete the following tasks:
- Choose 1 article from a list of three linked articles, read the article, and complete a short reflection with guiding questions
- Choose a provided video or a provided infographic, read/watch, and complete a short reflection with guiding questions
- Create a final product to illustrate their findings, choosing to write a persuasive article, create a presentation, or compose a short video
- The "home base" for the blended learning unit, which includes links to a total of 9 articles online (3 for each topic), links to a total of 3 videos (1 for each topic), and links to 3 infographics (1 for each topic)
- Instructions and grading rubrics for all three of the final product options
- Guiding questions document for the article section
- Guiding question document for the video/infographic section
My students really enjoyed the choice element here, and it meant they were more invested in what they were learning!
NOTE ON HOW TO USE: The "home base" document is intended as a Hyperdoc, which means you will need to update the links to the documents to lead to your own version of the documents in Google Drive or etc. This works really well on Google Classroom.
Students will need access to the internet to complete this blended learning unit.
Created for Ms Moore's English Classroom