"It Takes A Village" by Jane Cowen Fletcher:
Book Companion. Are you looking for a book that is multi-cultural
with a heartwarming message This is a great story any time of the year but especially during Black History Month as it is set in Africa.
This book companion can be used for many Common Core standards
for kindergarten to second grade. The pre-reading activities have students comparing and contrasting the life of Yemi and their life and marketplace. It also helps to highlight figurative language or saying " It Takes a Village" and tier two vocabulary words
► Day 1: Cultural supports, Venn Diagram, Africa, African marketplace writing prompt and paper for prompt.
► Day 2: Read through supports: story grammar visuals for story
► Day 3: Re-read, act out, story retell (rubric included)
► Day 4: Tier Two vocabulary: ways to teach it, visual supports both large size for classroom support and small size to either use in small group individual session or to put on a binder clip as a vocabulary review for a student
Extras: Parent letter, 5 Lotto Boards with questions for comprehension, Book report rebus, Book report paper
This is a great multi-cultural book.
For more pictures and how and why. Click on the below words to read and see more of this product.
Rakovic Speech and Language Chat blog on product
If you like this book companion you may also like these:
• Annie and the Wild Animals Book Companion 4 day lesson plan
• Caps for Sale: book companion, Vocabulary, Writing Prompt
• Dear Juno Book Companion,Tier Two Vocabulary, Korea,Letter writing,Story Grammar
• Edward the Emu: Common Core Standards, Tier Two Vocabulary
• New Shoes For Silvia Book Companion Common Core Multi-day Unit, Tier 2 Vocab
• The Gingerbread Man book Companion, retold by Aylesworth
• The Scarecrow&#x27;s Hat Book Companion: Tier Two Vocabulary, Common Core Standards