Knowing math facts fluently is an important math skill. It is the foundation upon which all other skills are based upon.
The game It's Melting will help develop fluency with addends of 4 - 12.
This game is versatile in that it can be played in pairs, small groups or the whole class.
It's Melting is played similar to the game called Kaboom!
1. Shuffle the cards and place in a pile faced down.
2. Students take turns turning over a card and solving the math problem.
3. If correct, the student keeps the card. If incorrect, the card is place in a discard pile. (Students can use the answer key, if needed to check another player's answer.)
4. If a student turns over a card that says, It's Melting, then they have to put all their cards into the discard pile and that completes their turn.
5. The It's Melting! cards are not put back into the pile but are set aside for the rest of the game.
6. If needed, the discard pile is shuffled and used to replace the draw pile.
7. The winner is the person who has the most popsicle cards at the end of the game.
I hope your class enjoys playing this game!
Come visit my blog for more ideas and activities: www.schoolhousetreasures.blogspot.com