Ever wondered if the moon landing was a hoax? What about global warming; is it real? Was Princess Diana's death a conspiracy? Was the Gulf Oil Spill a cover-up?
Students choose from controversial or debatable topics, narrow the focus, use different point of views, agree on writing formats, and use research skills with citation works (optional) to build their historically accurate, time period conversations/speeches, etc... and optional media/technology activities for presenting are included. Uses the writing process and peer workshopping approach.
1. Civil War with Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis
2. 9/11 Theories with George W. Bush and Morgan Reynolds
3. Gulf Oil Spill with Tony Hayward and Barack Obama
4. Area 51 with Dwight Eisenhower and Bill Johnson
5. Medical Marijuana with Willie Nelson and Michele Leonhart
6. Kennedy Conspiracy with John F. Kennedy
7. O.J. Simpson Verdict with Johnnie Cochran and Marcia Clark
8. Moon Landing with Bart Sibrel and Buzz Aldrin
9. Death of Princess Diana with Queen Elizabeth and Mohamed Al-Fayed
10. Global Warming with Richard Lindzen and James Hanson
Directions with optional media/technology activities
Valid website links
POV Scoring Rubric
Handouts (laminate optional) of all conspiracies/debates
Works CIted handout
Key Points boxes
Lined writing paper
Research materials or internet usage is needed.
Fun, educational approach to fact based writing and research skills. Critical thinking required! Use with GT/Pre-Ap/AP or as introduction to research and writing with lower/middle level learners.